<snip>
> I seem to recall flipping layers with the 'L' key (didn't it used to be
the
> 'S' key in the dim distant past?) and having no problems.  Does anyone
have
> a P98 installation running that would allow them to check what happens
when
> you swap to the other layer a big selection?  Are there any P99 (non-SE -
> though I can't see why one would) users out there that could test it.
>
> Ian Wilson

The 'S' key was used with AdvPcb 2.8, but I am pretty sure that the 'L' key
has been used instead for all succeeding versions.

I still use Protel 98 some of the time (inspecting legacy PCBs, and making
minor modifications to these), and tried moving the entire contents of a
"real world" PCB using the 'L' key. I was not that surprised that the
outcome of doing that was once again a pig's breakfast. (I don't have a copy
of AdvPcb 2.8, so I am not in a position to comment on what happens when the
'S' key is used with selected items.)

Protel 98 also has the same problem of "undoing" moved polygons (polygons
that are *not* repoured are not "unmoved" properly during a following "undo"
command, and polygons that *are* repoured get repoured *again* during a
following "undo" command, rather than being "un-repoured").

My gut feeling about the 'L' key is that Protel assigns a certain amount of
"resources" for executing a layer-flipping operation. If the items being
flipped are within that limit, the outcome won't necessarily match what the
user might have been hoping for, but it won't be a pig's breakfast either.
If that limit *is* exceeded though, then werid things start happening...

The moral of the story, as I pointed out in my previous post (on this
thread), is that the 'L' key should be used with care. I honestly believe
that Protel did not envisage that users would attempt to flip/invert large
numbers of items (or entire PCB files) using this key. Quite frankly, it was
previously my belief that it was to be used *solely* for flipping one
component at a time, and until another member of this forum pointed it out,
I was unaware that this key could *also* be used to flip primitive items
residing on layers of a "paired" nature, and/or *multiple* components.

If Protel was to "fix" the 'L' key (in Protel 99 SE), what exactly would
this "fix" consist of? That said, I believe that whatever *does* happen
following the invocation of this key *should* be totally (and exactly)
undone if the user then invokes the "undo" command. But while that may not
sound unreasonable, "undoing" moved polygons properly is no small task, and
although that is a separate bug (in that it also occurs in circumstances
when the 'L' key is *not* used), fixing that would still be a constituent
part of fully "fixing" the 'L' key.

For the time being, giving the problems associated with moving polygons,
there is a lot to be said for saving a PCB file before doing so. That way,
if you don't like the outcome, you can at least then close the PCB file
(without saving it first), and then repoen it again.

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer

* To join or leave this list visit: