On 09:37 AM 9/04/2001 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>Ian Wilson wrote:
>
> >On 04:11 PM 6/04/2001 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> >>Solder masks are treated like power planes in Protel. The same applies to
> >>paste masks. Anything you place on these "layers" shows up negativ on the
> >>board. Place a fill on a paste mask, and this area will not be covered by
> >>paste on the finished PCB.
> >
> >Actually this is not correct - since paste is a negative layer anything
> >placed on this layer will make a hole in the paste mask.
>
>That is just what I said, so what is your point?
>
>Gisbert Auge

Gisbert,

Sorry if I wasn't explicit, I will be now -  a hole in the paste mask
*allows* paste to be applied in that area. Placing a fill or other detail
on the paste mask layer will make a hole in the paste mask so allowing
paste to be applied there.  To remove paste mask from a pad requires you to
close the hole - this can not be done by placing fills, track etc
etc.  Removing paste from a pad can *only* be done by reducing the paste
mask expansion i.e. make the paste expansion a sufficiently large negative
number.

Your sentence (with my *emphasis*):
>Place a fill on a paste mask, and this area will *not* be covered by
>paste on the finished PCB.

The 'not' is incorrect.

(I have a suspicion that the regular respondents, me included, are
beginning to sound a little too high-and-mighty.  I am sorry if I caused
offense.  I do try to keep my replies short (not always successfully -
especially when I am running off on a new suggestion) and maybe they sound
curt.)

Ian Wilson

Considered Solutions Pty Ltd     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ABN: 96 088 410 002
5 The Crescent
CHATSWOOD   2067
Ph: +61 2 9411 4248   Fax: +61 2 9411 4249

* To join or leave this list visit: