At 04:51 PM 3/26/01 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:
>Abd-ul Rahman,
>         one of the more eloquent manners I have seen this handled was within
>PADS. They allow any fill or polygon pour in the footprint to be
>"associated" with a pad at the library editor level. This will make the
>copper feature automatically net to the same net within the netlist. With
>this functionality I don't believe that the copper even had to touch the pad
>but I can't remember ever trying it. I am not sure if that could be a
>valuable feature but it was definitely not a limiting feature because the
>copper didn't have to touch the pad.

That would be one way of doing it. I'm not sure of the value of an
automatic association when the primitives are not in contact, and if they
are in contact within a footprint, it is not necessary to make an
association, it is implied. The netlist loader, when it loads nets to pads,
would look for any component copper primitives other than pads and assign
the net if there is contact. But that would slow down net load, I'd expect.
A defined association would be relatively fast.

>         As well, I believe that I had the same difficulty when I tried the
>netlist synchronization (w/assign net to connected copper) on a fill
>attached to the part pad. The DRC error would not reset and the fill did not
>assume the netname from the pad.

I have not tested this with the synchronizer. I've heard that the
synchronizer and the Update command use different routines; perhaps this is
a difference between them.

I prefer not to update copper with the synchronizer because if something
goes south I want to know what was happening. It's easy enough to manually
command update, once I know the pads have loaded properly.

>  It is possible I missed re-running the DRC
>but as my memory serves me, I had checked the fills net assignment and it
>was still no net. I will have to test again in the next few days and figure
>out why it doesn't seem to work when I tried it.

Try using the Design/NetlistManager/Menu/Update... command. I did verify
that it works before writing in this thread....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433