Abd-ul Rahman,
        possibly I am missing a limitation of port symbols and hierarchy in
Protel because what you did with your first ascii drawing didn't quite make
sense to me. I don't use hierarchy with ports and sheet symbols presently
with Protel. Possibly I have suggested something that doesn't work at all in
Protel, I only ever commented that this was a possible solution that I have
used previously in Orcad.

The following diagram more closely represents my method. Showing connections
from one sheet to another. Netname connections are not global, only through
the hierarchical connections.

                          _<F[1..4]>_<F[1..4]>_
      ________F[1..4]____/                      \____F[1..4]_____
     |F1       |F2          Sheet1  |  Sheet2         |F2       |F1
     |         |                    |                 |         |
RDB*/     WRB*/                                        \__WRB*   \__RDB*

Or you 'could' even do. (If you wanted, not what I was suggesting but it is
possible in Orcad.)

                         _<G[1..4]>_<G[1..4]>_
     ________G[1..4]____/                      \____G[1..4]_____
    |G1       |G2          Sheet1  |  Sheet2         |G1       |G2
    |         |                    |                 |         |
X1*/      x2*/                                        \__WRB*   \__RDB*

where X1* connects to WRB* and X2* connects to RDB*.
        However, this is not intuitive and this would have everyone playing
the memory game.

        As you stated, a person could just use netnames global and place the
netname on a short piece of wire. Do you know how many hours I have wasted
on schematics of that type trying to find each and every occurrence of the
connection over many pages? I realize that this is not so much of an issue
to 'you' or 'I' with Protel because you can very effectively highlight the
net. But, that doesn't help some poor tech or Engineer working from your
prints trying to find every connection to a net on the schematic because
he/she has a short 'somewhere' on that net.

As for the naming convention, I commonly used just a single letter for the
netname convention as demonstrated above. I might have busses A[0..15],
D[0..15], B[0..15] or even Z[0..8], maybe AB[0..15] or DB[0..15] along with
DA[0..15](separate data buses). That doesn't take a lot of room, a several
characters less then CONT[0..15].

Sincerely,

Brad Velander
Lead PCB Design