At 01:15 PM 4/10/01 -0400, Yves Dubois wrote:

>I was making split plane on one of my PCB, I then realized I had to change
>the shape of it. My question is there a better way of reshaping the split
>plane then using the "Move Split Plane Verticales". Or do I need to redraw
>the split plane completly.

I don't think there is a better way, unfortunately. Protel should provide a
facility where one could redraw a portion of a polygon boundary (and a
split plane is a special kind of polygon); it is clumsy and awkward to use
the present tools.

It took me some time to figure out how to edit boundaries.
Edit/Move/Split_Plane_Vertices (or Polygon_Vertices), then click inside the
polygon. To move a vertex, pick up the handle at the vertex location.
Sometimes one must set a fine grid to be able to do this. Drop the vertex
where you want it. To insert a segment, pick up the handle in the middle of
a segment and move it; this splits the segment by creating a new vertex out
of the handle. To delete a vertex, pick up the preceding vertex (with
reference to the order in which the polygon was drawn), and hit the delete
key, then left-click to drop the vertex on the cursor where you want it.
Yes, clumsy.

The simplest change that could be made to improve this would be to make the
delete key delete the current vertex, not the next one over, and escape at
that point should not cancel the deletion; rather it should drop the
remaining vertexes where they were. That would be a lot more intuitive and
easier to use; we don't necessary know which direction the polygon was
drawn anyway, without experimentation

While a polygon is in move-vertex mode, and a mid-handle is picked up,
there should be a command to enter a draw mode: each successive left-click
should add a new vertex until one escapes the command. Instead, when the
midpoint is placed, one must then  find and pick up the next midpoint. I
can see why this was done: there are two options for the next midpoint, the
CCW midpoint and the CW midpoint. A better way to approach this would be to
have two segment editing modes: CCW and CW; a keypress would switch between
modes; the last-used mode would be remembered. This would allow one-click
per segment editing.

If, however, that is too complex, allowing a midpoint pickup by clicking on
a segment but not at a vertex, in which case the midpoint associated with
that segment would jump to the cursor as a new pending vertex. This would
allow two clicks per segment, one to select the direction of movement
around the polygon and the second to place the new vertex. If, then, a new
vertex in the same direction of rotation automatically popped to the
cursor, we'd be back at one click per vertex. And now that I think of this,
I think it better than having two modes as suggested in the last
paragraph.... One selects the direction of motion by picking a segment to
be the first new segment of the polygon, which defines the direction of
rotation, and then one can continue placing segments until the command is
terminated by escape or rt-click.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690