On 05:06 PM 10/04/2001 -0600, Gladieux, Jed said:
>Does anyone know how to create new design rules.  For example, I would like
>to flag instances where component outlines on the silkscreen layers overlap.
>

>I got bit by this on a very busy board and wound up with 2 components
>physically interfering with each other although pads/tracks were all OK.
>
>I'm currently using Protel98 but am planning to migrate to 99SE as soon as I
>get a chance.  Wasn't able to find anything in P98 Help.  Maybe I'll try
>Protel's Knowledge Base, but in the meantime, it anyone knows how to do this
>I would appreciate any advice.
>
>TIA,
>
>Jed Gladieux

In P99SE you can set a rule for component clearance.  If you set the Check
Mode to Full and the clearance of 0mil/mm you will get an accurate check of
interference even for convoluted component outlines - assuming your overlay
details are correct.

P98, from memory, does not have the full check mode and it doesn't have the
same method of setting component clearance.  Anyway P99SE should go someway
to trapping your problem.

Ian Wilson

* To join or leave this list visit: