From: Jon Elson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 3:37 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] EDIF/PLD software

Nicholas Piccinich wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone ever used a Protel EDIF netlist with Xilinx's Foundation,
> Altera's Quartus, or any other PLD software?
> Are only certain types of components usable to import the netlist
> successfully?

I tried to do some development using P99SE, aimed at a Xilinx
FPGA.  I did get as far as simulation, but when I tried to get
that compiled into downloadable form, I hit a brick wall.  I got
a variety of files, Xilinx .XNF files, VHDL files, etc.  But, I
was never able to get Xilinx's free tools to accept any of these files.

I eventually gave up, and bought the Xilinx Foundation, and did
all my work in that, although their schematic tools are hideous, and
the rest of the interface is just a little klunky.  But, Foundation
works, and produces FPGA and CPLD designs that work precisely
the way the simulation says they will.

Jon

* To join or leave this list visit: