> In a message dated 3/26/01 12:01:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >     I believe that this was answered a while ago by Colby (ex-Protel
> > Tech support). His comment was that Protel had removed the
> ability to remove
> > the floating licenses check sometime recently in one of the
> service packs (5
> > or 6?). If my memory has failed me then someone will step
> in and correct it.

Steve,

They did remove the option to disable [or broadcast/receive I think they
called it] the search option a few service packs ago.

I use Protel quite often on-site on my portable and the symptoms are worse,
unless it is actually connected to a network, or the network card is
removed, I suffer a 10-15 second 'lock-up' on all functions, including mouse
cursor, every 5-10 minutes or so while it goes to browse the network.

If I am connected to the network then its only a small delay at start-up.

IMHO its an irritation and pretty useless function [other than making sure
that you don't use 2 copies at the same time, on the same network, with the
same access code, i.e. nothing to do with checking for a floating licence or
server] that they could easily remove or write properly so that it does not
impact performance.

While I have no problems with Protel protecting their interests, impacting
performance for the end user is not an acceptable compromise, especially
when they gave the user the option to disable the check initially.

Best Regards

John A. Ross

RSD Communications Ltd
8 BorrowMeadow Road