Afshin,

I am sure this is not exactly the answer you may have been looking for, but
I have used the same technique for a configurable PCB.

In my case I increased the overlap of the resistors so that the pads
separated from each other. True, the body of the resistor in place would be
on top of a pad, but this isn't too big of a sin for through hole designs.
This method also saved us the confusion on drill files and fabrication
drawings with "missing" holes, as well as passing the design rule check. It
also had the added advantage of saving me a smidgen of space on a very
crowded board.

Hope this isn't a waste of your time,

Martin

`,,`,,