At 09:53 AM 5/7/01 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Dear Mr. Lomax,
>
>that would be good news, but is there any chance in getting this a little
>more precise?

That's up to Protel. For all I know they could be upset that someone
spilled the beans. Or they could be glad that a little information is
getting out without committing them to anything specific. I haven't seen
the new router. We'll know when it's in prerelease, I assume. That could
happen any time. Or they might decide to make the router part of the coming
upgrade, which would be a change from the leaked intention, and some of us
would not be happy about it. It's up to them.

>  I am doing a board just now which will be routed in 2 weeks
>or so, and we are at this moment in the process of deciding whether to
>spend another $20,000 for upgrading our elderly SPECCTRA license to V.10
>with most available options. If I new some more details about the features
>of the new Protel router version, this would help a lot. Most important:
>Will the autorouter follow the PCB design rules (it ignores most of the
>rules in the up-to-date version)? Will it support autorouting of blind and
>buried vias, a must in dense fpBGA designs?

Indications were that the router would follow design rules. Will it follow
*all* of them? My guess is that they will miss some. But it will be much
better than now. Will it handle blind/buried vias? We can hope so, but I
don't recall if that was mentioned.

I'd suggest not making a $20,000 decision based on a single board. I'd
think you can get someone with the latest and greatest Specctra to route it
for you for peanuts, comparatively.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690