Jeff Adolphs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How many of you out there talk with the PCB manufacturers Process Engineer
> to see how they will do the PCB Layer Stackup?
>
> A IPC lecturer recomends I always talk to the Process Engineer and should be
> doing extensive documentation on my PCB
> Fab Drawing.
>
> I always only talk with the Sales contact (if that). I don't feel I have
> time to go to the detail of contacting the Process Engineer
> to find out what Cores they stock, what Prepregs they stock, how they intend
> to do the PCB Layer Stackup, and then add
> this PCB Layer Stackup information to the Fab Drawing after the vendor is
> chosen.
>
> I usually quote 3 to 4 PCB Manufacturers using their PCB Quote on-line. I
> shop for best price because the PCB shops all
> seem to have the quality I need. I only order Prototypes.
>
> Jeff Adolphs
> Lake Shore Cryotronics, Inc.
> Westerville, Ohio, USA

The key words here are "the PCB shops all seem to have the quality I
need." If this truly is the case, then you may be fine.

However, my experience has demonstrated that many (local) shops say they
have capabilities that are not demonstrated in the boards delivered.
Years ago, I started learning what questions to ask and incorporating a
board specification into the information provided both for the quote and
actual fabrication. On boards with specific requirements (e.g. tight
impedance control), I will specify both the requirements AND a
recommended layer stackup. At the shops that I have found to be most
reliable, once the job is submitted, the shop provides me with a contact
name (other than the salesman), with whom I can discuss all the
particulars and point out any areas that are critical.

I use a variety of vendors depending on the specific requirements or
quantities of the board. Unfortunately, I have come across shops that
either can not meet the specs or just ignore them and by having the
requirements clearly present, I do not have to eat any bad boards...

David W. Gulley
Destiny Designs