At 02:25 PM 7/23/01 -0500, Frank Gilley wrote:

>>I do an autobackup every 15 minutes. That means that if the database were
>>corrupted, all I would lose would be fifteen minutes of work. There are
>>*also* backups made every time a file is overwritten. So save often. But
>>I haven't lost a file since a long time ago.....
>
>If you think you are safe 'cause of this, think again.  It is CHILLINGY
>EASY to lose a whole database.

I would not call it easy. It is possible, and if the relatively rare
circumstances that would cause it come up, it would be *easy* in the sense
that one might have no warning. This is, however, a generic hazard. The
solution is daily incremental backups that do *not* overwrite the old
backups, but I don't go that far. For one thing, almost all files that I
have are duplicated on my client's drives. Even if my house burned down,
little of tremendous importance -- to my clients -- would be lost. Only
those files which they also lost in some way would truly be lost.

Libraries can be recovered -- mostly -- from the PCBs and schematics which
have been designed using them.

Perhaps each revision of a project should be archived separately, even if
copies of the old revs are kept in the current project .ddb. I do the
former, I don't do the latter.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690