Dear All,

I am trying to assist my friendly local contract manufacture, who receives
mostly Protel designs to build on his Yamaha SMD machines.
These machines are very painful to program & verify.

I used to work for a company that wrote a program that graphically displayed
the placement file & mimicked the SMD machines.
It would show board size, component orientations, polarity, fiducials, etc..
-This would enable the production engineers to verify a placement file was
correct 'off line' from the working machines.

I thought a clever way to do this would be to use Protel. I have played
around with the "Tools/Auto placement/Place from file" -this place
components as per a PIK file.

It behaves well but is limited, the components need to be loaded in the PCB
first.

Ideally it would work like this:
-access the PIK file, load the components into a empty PCB
-access footprints from a different library (one that has the same
rotations/polarities as the SMD machine is setup for)
-find any problems, fix them, then generate the final PIK files

Does anyone know of away to do this? maybe a better way or have written a
server that could be easily modified?

Thanks,

Darryl Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]