I used the old version 3 simulator for some simple stuff, but I had some
problems.  It has been so long, I don't remember the details, but I do
remember that the program did not give any useful indication of what was
wrong.  It made debugging a simulation pretty painful.

We ended up buying a seperate piece of software for simulations. It is
better to simplify the circuits as much as possible and bring the simulation
up in small pieces.  This makes it a lot easier to figure out whats wrong
when the simulation blows up.  Since our simulation schematics are always
quite different than the boards schematics, there is no benefit to using
Protel over our other software.

Because of this, I haven't tried any simulations in Protel SE99, so I can't
comment on any improvements over Version 3.

Just my $0.02...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cliff Gerhard, P.E.
Director - EE Group