I have used it a couple of times to check our companies IBIS modals and can say
 that it does produce waveforms that do appear to be what is expected. But a
couple
of points you have to watch out for:

Any major complexity will seriously degrade the speed, I copy the trace of
interest and
 the bare minimum components to a new board and then design the schematic and
netlist
etc. I use dual Pentium 300 Mhz comp so thats also an issue.

The IBIS converter seems to work as expected (on our IBIS files at least) and
these can
then be imported  into SI and the speed grade of the process selected.

First waveforms may look nothing like what is expected as any load capacitance
has not
settled. Set longer times.

Accuracy of the waveform with comparison to a real life PCB has not been
thouroughly
checked, but it seems to have all the right bumps and shape and reflections as
expected
for a particular test waveform.

Mike Reagan did a comparison of the controlled impedance tools and posted the
results
on 26-9-2000. He found good accuracy between Protel and other tools with around
+/- 10 % variation.

Clive Broome
IDT Sydney Design Centre        Ph:         +61 2 9763 3513
8 Bayswater Dr, Homebush        Fax:        +61 2 9763 3409
Sydney,  NSW, 2127              Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Australia

         Australia's Leading Semiconductor Designers

"Darryl Newberry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 08/08/2001 03:12:35 AM