> Whenever I do a demo for other programmers such as C++ guys or whoever,
> they are astonished that I do in 10 minutes what takes them a day.
> This is what applies to the viual stuff. Obviously when doing nonvisual,
such
> as processing multiple linked data structures, it is the same as any other
language.
> But as even debugging complex stuff requries finally something visual, be
it a notepad
> or something more specific, Delphi is faster in development.

Is the rapid development of Delphi apps due to a superior IDE, or is the
Delphi language superior?  If the magic is in the IDE, then making rapid
development of C/C++ should just be a question of getting a better IDE.  I
don't have any axe to grind here, I am just curious about it.

I know a VB programmer who writes GUI interfaces for his company's software.
He says VB is made for the GUI stuff, but other parts of the software that
were written in VB should have been written in something else (VC, etc).

Is the Borland Delphi for Linux product really shipping, or is it still
vaporware (intentionware)?  Last time I visited the Borland website, their
Delphi for Linux (Kylix) information was very terse, whereas there was more
info for the Win32 version.

I know this sounds off-topic for this list, but it all began with
considering what is needed to write servers for Protel.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

> I'm doing Delphi myself, though not in the Protel context.
> Whenever I do a demo for other programmers such as C++ guys or whoever,
> they are astonished that I do in 10 minutes what takes them a day.
> This is what applies to the viual stuff. Obviously when doing nonvisual,
such
> as processing multiple linked data structures, it is the same as any other
language.
> But as even debugging complex stuff requries finally something visual, be
it a notepad
> or something more specific, Delphi is faster in development.
>
> And yes, Delphi is Pascal. It is less a matter of the language that of
what belongs to
> it, the IDE, debugger, everything. It doesn't need DLLs or OCX or such,
they are crap
> anyway. BCB may come close though as apart from the language they are
identical.
> BCB is not identical to VC++ what the obj files and libs concern.
>
> Rene
> --
> Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I thought Delphi was Pascal Prettified.
> >
> > You mean Delphi isn't Pascal? What is different and why is it so much
> > better than C++?
> >
> > I've programmed in C, Assemblers, Basic, Visual Basic, Pascal and C++,
and
> > I would take C++ over the others for a large program in a heartbeat. C
and
> > assembler are good for embedded code on a microcontroller, and VB is
great
> > for doing prototypes or test programs. The only thing I found Pascal
good
> > for was what it was originally developed for, Teaching Programming. I
did
> > watch a friend try to get Borlands C++ Builder to work properly with an
OCX
> > he had worked on developing. It was so buggy when it came to importing
DLLs