Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> > Whenever I do a demo for other programmers such as C++ guys or whoever,
> > they are astonished that I do in 10 minutes what takes them a day.
> > This is what applies to the viual stuff. Obviously when doing nonvisual,
> such
> > as processing multiple linked data structures, it is the same as any other
> language.
> > But as even debugging complex stuff requries finally something visual, be
> it a notepad
> > or something more specific, Delphi is faster in development.
>
> Is the rapid development of Delphi apps due to a superior IDE, or is the
> Delphi language superior?  If the magic is in the IDE, then making rapid
> development of C/C++ should just be a question of getting a better IDE.  I
> don't have any axe to grind here, I am just curious about it.

At least for me, Pascal is easier to read. Well, I guess it is the IDE. There are
components to drop down, such a buttons, editbox, dropdownmenues, filelistboxes,
notepads, labels, checkboxes, images, scrollbars, pagecontrols, TCPserver, ...
almost everything imagineable.
You have all this stuff in VC++ too, but you have to code them in a few dozend lines.
The delphi components are wrappers around the Win32 API classes, together with
object inspectors where you fill in value for the properties and attach events.
A doubleclick on the event fills the blank code into the source. The whole is
available under BCB too.
Why isn't it available in VC++ ?
I don't know - MS paid Borland 200Mio$ for the use of this patent.
I guess C# will have some of these feature. BTW C# is done by the guy how engineered
Delphi.

> I know a VB programmer who writes GUI interfaces for his company's software.
> He says VB is made for the GUI stuff, but other parts of the software that
> were written in VB should have been written in something else (VC, etc).
>
> Is the Borland Delphi for Linux product really shipping, or is it still
> vaporware (intentionware)?  Last time I visited the Borland website, their
> Delphi for Linux (Kylix) information was very terse, whereas there was more
> info for the Win32 version.

Delphi for Linux came out this March and is named Kylix. The desktop version goes for
200$. There is a free OpenEdition downloadable, that a is for OpenSouce code.
As it is Version 1.0, a few things are missing, some buggy, the ususal.
I like it.

Rene