hi rob,

what exactly do you export to a dwg?  that would be the gerbers, right?
he's needing measurements to the centers of all the pads so he can
work the heatsink plate around them.  and they're using solid edge for
a cad package, although i assume it imports dwg's alright.  is there any
particular gerber that i want to export for him?  i've done just a tiny
amount
of work with camtastic, changing a silkscreen on a pcb to reflect our cage
number.  beyond that, i'm not very good with gerbers.  i know that i have
been told that i should review the gerbers before shipping them off, but
that
is of little value when i wouldn't even know what i was looking for.

my response this morning to the problem was twofold:  i made sure
the ddb was not open, and i zipped it before i sent it to him.  although
your posts have pushed me towards giving them one of the gerbers
exported as a dwg (i think), ulterior motives (mine) wanna see that darned
ddb opened on another machine.

i do not do system backups.  i back up specific work directories to a
network drive.  if these files won't open on another machine, then my
whole backup procedure is questionable.  i figure i've got well over $100K
worth of protel work backed up.  i'm a civilian employee for the navy, and
they are a pretty easy bunch to work for.  but if my system hard-crashed
and i couldn't reload all those protel board files from backup, i think they
might get a bit upset.  ;-)

thanks, miker