Using another signal layer is probably the best, if not a manual
administrative regime.  Don't let that layer gerber accidentially slip to
the fab house....

but if you are maxed out on signal layers (and routed to max density), here
is a very fragile alternative ( I do not know how well this will work as it
seems to be fragile, but perhaps some experimentation is good as left as an
exercise to the reader)...

I placed two pads down on the net

I then created a track going from pad to pad on the TopLayer (yes, TopLayer
for now)

I then created a dummy piece of track not connected to the pads also on
TopLayer, also on the SAME NET

I verified that these two pieces of track were on the net I wanted to
jumper...

then I selected both tracks

I double clicked the dummy track to do a global edit on the selected tracks
where

selection = same
change layer to -> Mechanical Layer 1 (TopOverlay might not be a good choice
as the fab people won't like silkscreen on the pads)

and hit 'OK'

You have to have the dummy track as it will change to 'No Net' after the
global edit where the actual jumper track's Now on Mechanical Layer 1 are
still on the proper net.... you can delete the dummy track, but whatever you
do, do not touch (or even look at, cross-eyed) the jumper track as if it is
edited, the rubber band will reappear and it will end up on the 'No Net'
net... (it is okay to double click on the track to see that it says that it
is on the proper net)...

I have no idea if this will survive a DRC check or if the autorouter will
throw a kibby (or even a file save)...  it seems to be fragile...
I am sort of at work at the moment and don't have the time to delve into
it... I just created an empty PCB file and added a net (called 'foo') and
threw these tracks on the net/pad....

Anyway, an exercise for the reader...  Signal layer may be the best....

This is sort of a side effect I used to notice when doing array copy and
paste for multichannel boards... It always seems that whatever I double
clicked on something to do a global edit, never got changed, yet all the
other matching global candidates did get changed....

-chris