A few things to consider...
After doing all the editing and work-arounds required to panel within
Protel, are your going to be able to get a clean DRC? Do you really want to
do that amount of editing without one? What are you going to do when its
time to rev the design? Are you being paid by the job or by the hour? In
either case you probably have better things to do with you time.

In my view, if the Protel database contains the panel drawing and complete
documentation, then the panel is being controlled by one source file. When
we panel a layout, the 1up layout includes all the holes for the mouse
bites, additional plane clearances, etc. The fab/panel drawing includes
complete panel outlines including support bars and all routing. The fab
house's CAM operators need only do a simple step and repeat.

If your layout is properly designed and the fabrication and panel
documentation is complete, it should make no difference that the fab is
being subcontracted. If you haven't already done so, try talking to your
'new facility' and explain that EDA software is not designed for paneling.
Let them know that the fab facilities are the paneling 'experts', they have
better tools to do it correctly, and therefor can do it quicker, at less
cost, and more reliably.

If your facilities still insist you do it, use Camtastic but do your
documentation in Protel. Camtastic can handle the step and repeat with
ease, and the Protel database will remain intact for future revisions!

Mark Koitmaa, C.I.D.
Certified Interconnect Designer
TechServ
Tel: 408-369-7950