Tim Hutcheson wrote:

> I'm learning, thanks.  I have only just gotten to the point of trying to
> understand how the layers are put together.  And it is real easy to miss the
> practical details.

This is somewhat of a problem.  Unless you read the trade journals
of the PCB industry, or have done it yourself, many designers have little
opportunity to understand how boards actually are made.  2-sided
is pretty simple, 4 layer is a bit more complicated.  But, when it gets to
more than 4 layers, there are so many possible ways you can build
a board!  Then, there's additive vs. subtractive, resist and etch vs. SMOBC,
etc.  And, now, with the development of microvias, and/or blind & buried
vias, there are still more possible combinations!  Whew!

And, that's not getting into active boards, like printed capacitors and
resistors!

The companies that make the boards often don't give much (or any)
info on what processes they use, which ones they prefer (to the user:
costs less due to better yield) so you really don't know how to design
the board to their preferred processes.

Jon