At 01:25 PM 8/16/01 -0700, Mark Koitmaa wrote:
[re panelization in Protel]
>[...] In either case you probably have better things to do with [your] time.

Right. "Probably" covers the occasional exception, perhaps where the panel
is the deliverable. Even then there is a better way than multiplying all
the primitives.

>If your facilities still insist you do it, use Camtastic but do your
>documentation in Protel. Camtastic can handle the step and repeat with
>ease, and the Protel database will remain intact for future revisions!

I've panelized when I wanted the panel delivered. And then I needed to make
a change. I had to made 32 changes instead of one. Keep a single database,
one-up. You might add to that any features that are to be repeated; what is
not to be repeated might be added to a mech layer for combination later.
Everything will then be fully specified. The mech layer can be merged after
the step-and-repeat. This can be done in CAMtastic, I am sure, or the
fabricator can do it.

Fabricators are already stepping and repeating almost every board they do.

Some prototype fabricators are combining jobs from different customers into
a single panel, this is why you can get 1 or 2 boards so cheap from them.
They explicitly don't want you to panelize; you'd have to convince them
that you needed it and were not just trying to save a buck.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA