At 10:10 AM 9/20/01 +1000, Saddle wrote:
>The problem I seem to have alot is knowing where the edges
>(boundaries) of an existing polygon are when laying down the next one beside
>it. This may sound strange, say just lay one over the other, but sometimes
>protel wants to redraw/recreate the polygons and it may not draw them in the
>correct order again.

Right, as will be expected if one considers how the polygon pour works. For
this reason, one should not overlap polygon pours belonging to different
nets; the resulting copper is likely to vary depending on the sequence in
which the polygons are poured.

If one must place a polygon pour within the territory of another polygon
pour, reroute the outside edge of the larger polgyon so that it wraps
around the inner polygon area. (I.e., do not allow a donut but instead make
a C shape with the C closed so that when it is poured without obstructions
it will look like a donut.)

A polygon with sufficiently fine pour track will normally have an outline
which is reasonably visible. However, if one wants to see the actual
outline, one can position the cursor over the polygon and press the left
mouse button, which will display the outline. Unless one is on a coarse
grid and can tell that one has not moved the polygon -- which will be
floating on the cursor at this point -- it would be best to use ESC to
terminate the move before letting go of the left-mouse button, so that the
polygon will remain in its original place.

Drawing a reference outline on a mechanical layer is not a bad idea, but
some care in placing polygons in the first place may avoid the necessity.
If one has many differing polygons within one large polygon, using a mech
layer as a reference to leave documentation in the file as to the desired
pour sequence seems a good idea to me. Obviously, one would want to pour
the inner polygons first.

Protel could have the intelligence to recognise that one polygon contained
within another should be poured first, but it doesn't. With overlapping
polygons, however, there is no easy way for the program to tell which one
should be poured first, so the existing behavior is probably the best
compromise, i.e., the designer can control it. Perhaps a more advanced
program will have some device for directly controlling pour priority, but
do we want the increased program complexity?

Inner planes, however, have no way to control "pour" sequence (i.e, to what
polygon an overlapping region is to be assigned), and here we could really
use an improvement.

Included polygons should clearly take priority; where polygons overlap,
they should either automatically split when created, with the user being
queried as to how to assign the overlap. (In other words, if a polygon is
placed overlapping another -- on the same layer, of course --, then the two
polygons will become three, two of which will have clear assignments and
one of which is ambiguous, hence the query.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA