Andrew,

        when I first looked in these Forum I run in the name "synchroniser" to.
Meanwhile I discovered (hope Im right?)it means the server that apears in
Protel99SE when you chose update|schematic in PCB, or update|pcb in Schematic.
Like Robi just answered (greatings to australia;-) ) you can use tool|annotate
to change the designators in PCB and then use the synchroniser to synchronise it
with the schematic.

Hope it helps

Waldemar