From:   Mike Reagan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wednesday, October 31, 2001 6:58 AM
To:     Protel EDA Forum
Subject:        Re: [PEDA] DXF export bug?

> This may have been mentioned before, but I've recently started using the
dxf
> export function in 99SE/SP6 to send drawings to another company site
(where
> they have yet to see the light and use Protel :-) ), and we've noticed
that
> vias with connections to internal planes have no connection to the planes
on
> the exported file (pads are exported OK).
>
> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Andy,
I don't think this really qualifies as a bug. But it probably works that
way.    This is asking quite allot of an "intelligent" program like Protel
to export to a "non intelligent" program like AutoCAD which wouldn't
recognize the connections anyway.  DXF, DWG formats are stick figure
characters on  a computer screen. I rarely use the direct export feature in
Protel as well as rarely using the print manager.  My advice to anyone using
these two features is to generate gerbers, import to Camtaxtic  then
generate dxf or prints from Camtastic.   I recently read all the woes of dxf
and printing again on this forum and didn't respond because I have posted
this before.......USE CAMTASTIC !  It fixes all you dxf outputs, and
printing problems.
The only problem with exporting  DXF is, AutoCAD can be overwhelmed by the
shear size of the files, requiring long waits to update a screen.....oh well
that is AutoCAD's problem, not Protel's.   I know it is a few more steps
from File, export,  but it is far more accurate and manageable to use
CAMTASTIC.

Regards,
Mike Reagan
EDSI