This has already been explained by Mr. Elson, but to say it perhaps another
way:

The message about the number of primitives to be "changed" tells you how
many matches you got. It is a tad different in Schematic than in PCB. PCB
does not include the object being edited in the match count, as I recall
Schematic does.

Further, in PCB, most changes are made directly to the primitive fields
instead of in the change field, global changes are transferred if Change or
Copy to All -- I forget the exact words -- for that field is checked.

So if you get a message saying that 20 objects are going to be changed, you
know that you got 20 matches. You do not know that any of them, or more of
them than 1, are going to be changed, that depends on the settings in the
fields to be globalized.

Schematic global edit can drive one a little buggy until one understands
it. It took me some time, and I'm still not sure that I've got it all.
String-substitution operators are used, there is some information on it in
the manual or tutorial as I recall. There are also some irritating
limitations, as have been discussed before on this list.

The reported behavior is quite common, and it is not a bug, just a tool not
being used as designed. Probably.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA