At 04:53 PM 11/19/01 -0600, Matt Pobursky wrote:
>Actually, the high speed digital testers employed by the memory
>manufacturers FULLY test memory modules over their rated speed
>and voltage ranges. Usually any problems that occur after the
>module leaves the factory are due to handling, installation or
>motherboard related issues (timing, voltage, noise, etc.) Memory
>chips themselves are 100% parametrically tested after they are
>packaged since the manufacturer is in the business of selling
>specified, functional chips.

It is practically impossible to *fully* test a large memory chip because
there can be data-sensitive errors. I.e., when this cell is 1 and that cell
is 0 and this row over here is all 1s, and then one writes such and such to
a cell, there is an error. Especially dynamic memory can be vulnerable to this.

Last time I remember running memory tests, there were options to test them
six ways until Sunday. It was very time-consuming. On the one hand, the
computers were slow by today's standards; on the other hand, the memory
chips were much smaller (i.e., fewer cells).

>At any rate... if anyone is interested in FULLY testing your
>system memory, you can get a great FREE memory test program at:
>
>http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

Thanks for the URL!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax