I have been using Protel 99SE with windows XP Professional for about 5
months. I started out with the beta evaluation version of XP. My impression
is that it is more stable than Windows 2000, and many times better than
Win98. I have done some crude testing, such as opening 6 instances of Protel
at once, performing one or two basic operations in each instance, then
closing all instances of Protel. Then, I go in to the task manager and check
for any lingering signs of Protel. So far, Windows XP has done an excellent
job of keeping Protel in check. Performing the same test in Windows 2000
resulted in one or more instances of Client99SE.exe lingering in the task
manager, hogging resources. Also, I have seen a reduction in crashes or
system lock-up. I would see an average of 1 system crash or lock up each
day. I define a crash or lockup as any situation that requires a re-boot of
the system. With Windows XP, I have had to re-boot less than one time per
week. Although I am uneasy with the licensing scheme of Windows XP, for me
it has proven to be a more stable and robust platform for Protel than
Windows 2000 or Windows 98.

I would really like to hear other experiences with Windows XP.

Mark Richards
CAD Designer
Phone: 602.244.7267
Fax: 602.244.6716