At 07:48 AM 11/21/01 -0500, Sean James wrote:
>Does anybody know how to get Protel to do gate & pin swapping?

Protel does not support this automatically. But it is not difficult to go
back and forth between schematic and pcb to accomplish something similar.

And with a complex assignment problem, where we want to improve routing,
say, for a many-pin FPGA, I created a single-pin part, popped one of it
onto each interchangeable pin on the schematic, created a footprint for
this part which was equal in size to one pad of the FPGA, and placed these
parts on the corresponding swappable pads of the FPGA. Then, while routing
manually, I could just move them around until I got a good arrangement;
I'll leave the rest of the process as an exercise for the student... :-)

But it was not at all difficult to transfer this data back to the schematic.

Two hints:

I made a mech layer copy of the FPGA footprint and replaced the actual FPGA
with that copy while I was working. This allowed me to pick up the pieces
with ease -- without going through a selection dialog -- but they still
would snap into place.

It may be easier to make a special symbol for the swapped FPGA than to use
the original symbol, which would require rerouting the schematic. However,
if the swappable nets are assigned to the FGPA with net labels instead of
wires, rerouting is easy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA