> I managed 283days uptime on my Windows 2000 work station and
> thats using
> Protel, Word, Excel and numerous other application everyday
> and just loging
> off at night.

That sounds about right for Windows 2000.

> The reboot came when I installed service pack 2, 114 days ago
> and yesterday
> when I was forced to unpick Acrobat 4 writer as it stopped Protel PCB
> printer working !!!!
>
> I have had two bluescreens of death (10th April 2001 and 11th
> April 2001) in
> that time both caused by fiddling with Jungo's device driver
> development
> software. Use the UPTIME command in resource kit to show system uptime
> statistics.
>
> In my experience of Windows 2000 running on the many Dell
> machines we have
> here I have yet to see any unexplained blue screens of death.
> Disk failure
> does it "I/O failure during paging operation".
>
> So why would I want something more reliable than this ?

That's a good question, and indeed it's one that shouldn't have to be
answered. The answer, of course, isn't that Linux is more reliable than
Windows products (as you say, win2k is pretty darned good), it's with
ongoing support and draconian licencing issues. It's all well and good to
say that Win2k is stable, but win2k is, or soon will be, no longer supported
by Microsoft. Want that driver for that new foo-32 device? You'll have to
"upgrade" to XP, with all its associated licensing issues.

Using Linux rather than Windows is at the present time more of a
philosophical decision, at least for me.

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken
Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069 - AUSTRALIA
ph:  +61-7-3327 4685     fax:  +61-7-3327 4455
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]