At 05:52 PM 11/26/01 -0500, Jeff Adolphs wrote:
>Hello! I'm the one having Protel Crashes with the message 'Access
>violation....  I have read the Protel Knowledge Base and found I should
>be doing Database Repair. Maybe the Protel Crashes are related to not
>doing Database Repair.
>
>On two large Database Files the Database Repair could not fix them. Does
>Database Repair have problems repairing large designs?

Well, obviously, the larger the database the more possibility of an
unrepairable error. Other than that, I don't know. But if your memory is
limited to 64K as mentioned before, perhaps this could be a problem.

Normally it is not necessary to repair databases, but if you have been
having frequent crashes, this could certainly corrupt a database.

I've never seen a damaged .ddb, though.

Ddbs should not be allowed to grow to enormous sizes, in my opinion.
Periodically delete unnecessary files (and empty the ddb recycle bin), and
I recommend setting automatic compact on close. (an option under the Client
menu, that mysterious down-arrow in the upper left corner of the screen. At
least that is the default position, I don't know if it can be moved.

Files are not really deleted from the .ddb until the Recycle Bin is
emptied, and even then the space allocated to them remains, thus the .ddb
continues to grow. Compacting the database recovers this space.

>Still working on why I get Protel Crashes, so far I have lowered Video
>Acceleration, used Database Repair ( the design which has been crashing
>was able to be fixed by Database Repair (although there is no way of
>knowing if there was anything to fix), and gotten ALL the related Protel
>Knowledge Base pages they had. Tomorrow I will look at the Main Board
>and make sure the processor looks seated properly (kind of doubting the
>processor is the problem since Microsoft Outlook ran good the last two
>days, AutoCAD 2000 ran well also (didn't do much with AutoCAD 2000 today
>though).

That some programs, or even all programs but one, is no proof that there is
no hardware problem. Obviously, if all crashes happen with one program
only, we will suspect the program rather strongly, but it is possible that
a memory problem, for example, is pattern sensitive or that some other
obscure interaction between the program and the hardware is bringing a
fault to the fore.

But, once again, the most likely culprit is the video system, sorry to say.
It's a shame if one can't run an $8000 piece of software because someone
tried to save a much smaller sum of money by not using video RAM but
instead sharing user RAM. It is a near certainty that these problems will
go away if you install Protel on a better computer. It doesn't have to be
an expensive one; I could probably buy something better than I am using now
for a few hundred dollars, excluding stuff like the hard drives and other
transferable peripherals. Hmmm...

So why am I putting up with my aging K6-450? Inertia. Not much else. Well,
it's always a major interruption to install everything on a new system, get
the network talking sense, etc....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA