I did some further investigation on my system and determined that I had
installed the SWIFT Designer Software Tool from Texas Instruments on the
same day the problem manifested itself.  As far as I can tell it must have
written over some critical files. I worked with Protel for several hours
after I had installed the SWIFT software without issue so I originally did
not think it caused the problem I encountered when I closed the session
and reopened it.  I have since deleted the SWIFT software.  I am not sure
I want to reinstall it to test my theory.

I did try installing the latest version of MDAC without success.

In order to get back up and running I had to follow the directions in
Knowledge Base Item 2450.  I came to this conclusion after having the same
problem noted in 2450 when I tried to open a new design data base.  I had
to do a variant of option 3.  Rather than reinstalling the operating
system and applications, I chose to repair the Windows 2000 installation.
I am now back in business.

Thanks,

Douglas

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Ian Wilson wrote:

> At 04:08 PM 27/11/01 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >I am unable to open a Database file with Protel 99 SE with SP6.  When I
> >try to open one, the program gives me the New Design Database dialog.
> >This installation on my computer used to work.
> >
> >I have tried removing and reinstalling Protel 99 SE and Service Pack 6
> >without success.  I disabled my virus checking software during the
> >install.  I am running Windows 2000 with SP2.
> >
> >Are there any hidden registry settings I need to be aware of?
> >
> >Any hints would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Douglas
>
> Douglas - this has come up before and I think there is  one or more KB
> article(s) on the Protel www site on this problem.  I have seen the p
>
> KB item 1985 is one candidate - do you use apostrophe's in any folder/file
> names?
>
> Also, I am not sure but I seem to recall that the "MDAC problem" can have
> this or similar effect.  Search for MDAC on the Protel KB.  Basic issue is
> that the MS database drivers have been overwritten by some other
> program/installer.
>
> Ian Wilson

Douglas Alden
Integrative Oceanography Division