From: Michael Beavis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 4:27 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Padstack

>  Place a free PAD out there and call it '1', connect the net to
> 'gnd'. Then
> you can define a rule for "plane connect" and set the "power plane connect
> style" filter kind to "PAD" and  and look for "free pad 1" and
> set the Rule
> Attributes to "No Connect". This will make a clearance around the
> pad based
> on the clearance rules you have set up.
> Bill Brooks
> PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.
> DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS, INC

Free pads allow for more powerful design rules to be employed but it is
possible to lose them when synchronising from SCH if care is not taken.
If the 'Delete component' option is selected in the sync process and the
free pads do not appear on the SCH they will be removed from the PCB. Always
checking thru' the list of macros to be executed is recommended. An unwanted
individual macro can be right-click deleted from the list each time but this
leaves the danger that the next person working on the design may not be so
vigilant. Better to lock all free pads with a global edit before finishing -
at least you'll get a warning before they disappear.

Mick Beavis