----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenkins, Charlie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] SV: Phatom polygons another tip

| Why would I want to keep extra copper where it's not wanted?  Electrically I
| might want the copper to separate sensitive areas of a board where a gnd net
| was missing. For my purposes I like to keep as much copper on board as
| possible. One because it makes my etchant last longer and two because if I
| route the prototype and keep as much copper on the board as I can I get to
| control the clearances with rules and speed up the routers performance when
| it rubs out the bare areas of the board.

    It depends if your fab house uses a positive, or negative process.  If your fab
house etches copper, the less copper you remove from the PCB, the longer his enchant
will last.  If your fab house grows copper on blank panels, the more copper, consumes
more copper out of the chemicals.  I've been told by my fab house that they really
don't care, since their chemicals are recycled & re-used.

Brian Guralnick