> Free pads, by definition, do not appear on the schematic. I read
> this post
> from Mr. Beavis and was pretty shocked. I was about to start
> railing at the
> programmers who would allow Free-padname to be deleted as if it were a
> component. But I tried it first. I could not get free pads to disappear
> from a PCB when the PCB was Updated from a schematic.
>
> If one uses a component for mounting holes, yes, that component should be
> on the schematic or it will be deleted.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Abdulrahman Lomax
> Easthampton, Massachusetts USA

I stand corrected.
I set up a simple SCH/PCB example and could not lose the free pads while
updating.
I couldn't lose the netlist names from these pads either, which I know
definitely happened to me only a few weeks ago. These were freepad mounting
holes connected to a GND polygon pour and not SCH components. It was noticed
when the polygon was re-poured and didn't connect to the freepads because
they had become No Net. The preview sync list did show it was removing the
net names until I locked the free pads then it was happy.

Michael Beavis