> does anyone know, if object file formats '.sch' (schematic), '.lib'
> (schematic library, pcb library) and '.pcb' are compatible between P99SE
> and
> the older versions P98 and P3? Where and what are the differences?
> Can I take (e. g.) a pcb file of P99SE, change it using P98 and work
> with it
> using P99SE later on?
>
> Mike

To *some* extent, yes.

However, features which are *not* provided in Protel 98 (e.g. the new
layers, "Keepout" arcs, tracks, and fills, comments for Design Rules, layer
stackup data, via connections to Power Plane layers, etc) will be lost if a
file is edited using Protel 98 (if it was previously created/edited using
Protel 99 SE).

Such features wouldn't be lost if they weren't used in the first place
though, of course.

A PCB file needs to be saved/exported using the "Protel 98 binary" option
before it can then be opened using Protel 98.

Having said all that, I don't see why you would want to work on a PCB file
using Protel 98. If the file was originally created using Protel 99 SE, I
don't see any merit in then attempting to edit that while using Protel 98.

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer