i like the idea of the 3 legged SOT-23 LED to insure polarity

in thru hole leds the short leg is ALWAYS the cathode ...
well almost always, except for the few that are opposite
(there really are some that way!)
sometimes assemblers look into the body to see the orientation if the
leads are already clipped and there is no obvious flat spot

there is a leg inside with a bigger feature, but believe it or not that
cannot be relied upon either

Dennis Saputelli