I think you're seeing an issue I brought up to Simon (the founder of
camtastic) back before he was bought by Protel.

What happened to me was the fills on my PCB were coming in with "x"'s from
corner to corner. I found out that it was turning my fills into components
(camtastic has this feature though I never use it).

After some testing, I found out it was caused by either long path names from
where I imported the files, long path were I stored the camtastic file, or a
space or unusual character in the path or gerber file name.

Try placing a copy of the gerbers in a temp directory on C. I used C:\temp1
and it no longer did that. I think I recall it wasn't so much the path length
as it was a dash or something in the path or file name of the gerbers...