Hi all,

I hope you'll excuse this tired subject on the basis that A) an archive
search of "laptop" and "notebook" came up almost nil (which seems odd
since I know this has been discussed), and B) computers change so fast
that last years thread is likely not too relevant.

Ok, so I need to move my Protel99SE license to a laptop and obviously I
need to match one to Protel.  I'm looking for opinions of any kind -
from specific model/make references to generalized recommendations
(I.E.: say away from ATI graphics, such & such brands don't work, my
blah blah blah is rock solid, etc).

I have been reading the list and believe the following statments to be
true - but would like to confirm that:
-Nvidia graphics in general have been performing well w/Protel (since
I'm not ganna find Matrox on a laptop).
-Windoze 2000 Pro is the tried and true OS for Protel.
-Although not "certified to run Protel," XP has been slightly more
stable than Win2000 (with Protel) and maybe I should just hold my nose
and get XP.

If it's relevant to your opinions, know that (for me)
reliability/compatability is key while performance is secondary.  Price
*is* an object - I don't make my living w/Protel alone.  For at least
the next year or so the majority of my designs are *typically* only two
copper layers, <1000 components, and not larger than say 6" x 9".  I do
use the autorouter and simulator (although I stink at using both of
them).  This box will also run your average assortment of random apps -
Excel, Word, Camtastic!, Photoshop, Adobe, etc.

Thanks all for any opinions in this matter!

-Buck-