Lately I have been looking for a new laptop myself.  My research shows:

1)  They all have Windows XP - ugh!
2)  Some no longer have what I consider the "essential" ports (parallel,
serial)
3)  Some require external floppy drives or CD docking stations to get
software on/off them
4)  Some have unified RAM architecture which puts graphics RAM and system
RAM in the same RAM chips.

I have ruled out laptops that have items 2, 3, or 4 above.  I want all the
ports and drives available at all times without needing a docking station to
use them.  Unified RAM slows system performance down.

There seem to be some good offerings from HP (5425, 5445, etc.) and Sony
(FXA36).  I would stay away from Compaq, for reasons noted earlier in this
list.

I wonder if there will be a price drop on laptops after the Christmas
season?  Unsold inventory?

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.