laptops are available with plenty of computing power to handle
protel, but screen size is a limiting factor.  although you
might consider 1024x768 on a 15" screen a minimum, you better
be VERY sure that the higher rez screens (dell is calling them
ultra xga, i believe, and they go to 1600x1200, i believe) work
for your eyes.  cuz lcd screens, unlike monitors, only have one
rez setting that they really look good at.  we got a new support
system in and it had a sony 21" flatscreen, and it wasn't clear
at any rez but 1600x1200, and i couldn't comfortably view it at
that high of rez, even with the super nice clarity.

miker

********************

> Ok, so I need to move my Protel99SE license to a laptop and obviously I
> need to match one to Protel.  I'm looking for opinions of any kind -
> from specific model/make references to generalized recommendations

I've been quite pleased with my Dell Inspirion 400 MHz laptop and never had
problem running Protel under W98 there. If you're going to do serious CAD on

a laptop, get the absolute best video you can find, though - I consider its
1024x768 LCD on a 15" screen pretty much bare minimum.

As for OS, I've been running Protel on a new desktop under W2K for a couple
weeks now and it has been completely solid. Come to think of it, that
desktop
machine is a Dell as well. Not that it didn't have any problems with the
array of incompatible software I need to run, but everything is now playing
together nicely, although I don't have all the software I need installed
yet.

Your mileage may vary....

Steve Hendrix