At 10:51 AM 12/12/01 -0800, Buck Buchanan wrote:
>Ok, so I need to move my Protel99SE license to a laptop and obviously I
>need to match one to Protel.  I'm looking for opinions of any kind -
>from specific model/make references to generalized recommendations
>(I.E.: say away from ATI graphics, such & such brands don't work, my
>blah blah blah is rock solid, etc).

I bought an HP Omnibook at auction about 18 months ago, for $1780, and
until this last weekend I had no problems with it. (When I returned from
Atlanta the backlight was dead, perhaps it had some physical shock while I
was carrying it around.)

It came with NT installed, and it had an XGA screen, which I considered
minimal for Protel use. I added memory to it to take it up to 192 MB
(included in the $1780). I had an uninstalled W2000 CD, so I upgraded the
OS to W2000.

I don't know what kind of graphics chip it has, it's a little difficult to
navigate around with a dead backlight. I got my files off because it comes
up on the network without any problem....

I just looked on ubid.com and saw an expiring auction for an HP Pavilion
notebook with 15 inch XGA, 1 GHz Athlon processor, 256M SDRAM expandable to
512M, 20G hard drive, included DVD, floppy, modem, 10/100 NIC, etc., and
the current winning bid was $1076. It came with Windows ME, which is not
recommended for Protel, but that is a $100 question, or a little more if
you want to buy W2000.

Cheap. And better than what I am running now on my desktop, except I've got
a 21 inch monitor and a bigger hard drive.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA