Rene & others,
        it is timely that Sean raised this issue because I have been
fighting with related issues. In my case I have a very complex board outline
where I have copied the board outline to the bottom layer and made it a
keepout and control my polygon outlines with respect to the board edge.
There are associated issues but I get lots of violations that I am trying to
eliminate with rules, seems to only work part of the time. I also believe
that I have found a bug relating to polygons while trying to accomplish
this, I will write about it in a day or two when the crunch is off.
        In my case I have a number of drill holes at points along the board
outline. These drills are to relieve the board outline edge where the
overlying matrix has sharp corners that a router cannot achieve. Thus each
of these drill holes have no net, no plating, no pad (0mils). Each and
everyone of them causes a violation with the keepout.

        The funniest thing is working over several variations of the PCB
design, some rules work in one copy of the board and while making the
variations to the next version the same existing rule will quit working all
of a sudden. I have also had the keepout lines showing violations along the
entire board outline because they are touching the keepout adjacent to them.
The listed violation lists the one keepout track segment and it's adjacent
connected track as the other violator in the pair. Go figure.

        There are also other cases where a violation is not avoidable, so I
am trying to devise rules which will eliminate those violations. Sometimes
the rules work, sometimes they do not. At the moment I have databases which
have over 300 violations which seem to be indefinable in the DRC rules
set-up, most all are related to the keepout. I have even tried a rule which
states the keepout spacing to anything else (Board) is 0mils, no luck.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.