Brian,

So, you agree that it's alright for these companies to recover their
investments by charging for the software tools and not just for the IC's.
When I bought into the Magnum, it was about $7K/seat with a $1.5K annual
fee.  I have found Altera's support to be lacking, and I have long given up
on the hot line and just use the local FAEs.  With Xilinx I use their WEB
site data base.  With Synplify, I don't do anything, just use the tool :).
So, who's simulation tools are you using?  I assume your using some form of
HDL.   Ever play with Protels copy of Logical Device's CUPL?  Any comments
you would care to share? ;).