Like Jaurique, we draw a dashed line around the items on the schematic and
notes etc.  I also use the editable (from schematic) part fields.  i have
10,11,12, for company specific data (from a database) and 13>16 for
different build options.
You can just highlight the parts you want different on say Build A, and
globally edit part 13 (with selected objects only) to give details eg, miss
out on build A.  Do the same for the other build options and these can be
included on the main BOM output.  And it will group them nicely as well on
the BOM.

Works well for us.

Rich