Very odd Bob, this really shouldn't happen. Unfortunately I'm not much help
either as I have no idea how this could go wrong for you, yet work for me. I
have many schematic symbols with more than one footprint associated with
them, (resistors for example).

I just placed a whole heap of 1/4W resistors (the fist footprint in the list
for my resistor symbol) in a schematic generated a PCB with the
synchroniser, then went back to the schematic and changed a few resistors to
2W footprints, updated the PCB with the synchroniser again, and only the
ones I changed were correctly changed to 2W footprints in the PCB.

It worked backwards as well (changing the PCB footprint and updating the
schematic with the synchroniser).

The only boxes I had checked in the synchroniser were, 'Update footprints',
and 'Delete components'.

Did you say you had SP6 installed?

Regards,

Tom.