On 03:34 PM 23/01/2002 -0600, Joel Hammer said:
> > The problem is *not* that wheel mice don't work with Protel!
>

>         no it doesn't work properly! as soon as the wheel is turned the
> keyboard
>freaks out and i have to reboot. (press Esc and the windows start button
>menu    would pop-up.)

Joe,

Riddle me this - I use a wheel mouse, I use a keyboard, I use P99SE, I use
the wheel mouse and keyboard in P99SE. I do not get crashes in P99SE
(except while developing servers and trying to interpret the convoluted SDK).

Your experience differs.  But as Ian Middleton (in the thread Illegal
Operation Crash) said sometimes drivers can affect programs in odd
ways.  Some of us now avoid ATI graphics cards and HP printers as we can do
so easily and so avoid a couple of known vulnerabilities.

Should these vulnerabilities exist in Protel.  In an ideal world no, but
some years ago I did a survey, about 120 Protel users responded.  On the
question of speed vs stability the split was about 50/50 - there was no
huge pressure out there for a dramatic shift in focus between speed and
stability.  When one is dealing with returns from the operating system (and
an installed driver is basically part of the operating system) one can try
to validate every parameter, validate a few or go for max speed and
validate none.  In the past I think Protel has been rather too trusting of
the underlying drivers and should validate more returns - I am always keen
on defensive programming.  But there is no great push out there, based upon
survey of 125 Protel users for a dramatic increase in stability at the
expense of speed. I was not part of a huge majority.

Comments from others saying "majorities" and "minorities" are based on what
I wonder.  Personal preference is my guess.

Actually I agree with much of what you are saying - Protel, for an
increasingly upmarket product, still suffers from some basic software bugs
that we have a right to be fixed, for free.  Some of these have been
documented for years.

There are now sufficient reports of HP and ATI causing problems that I
would have thought that Protel should have done detailed investigation into
the problems - and then told the us results via their KB.  But there is
scant info on these problems - possibly suggesting they do not see it as
their problem - an attitude that greatly annoys me.

As for a mouse and keyboard breaking Protel - there were comments a while
ago about problems with particular mouse drivers.  The suggestion at the
time was to try to get the latest version.

Read the above as support for some of your comments on the quality of the
Protel suite not being up to the current price we are charged, but less
support for your claim (?) that the wheel doesn't work and you had to get
rid of it.

Ian Wilson