Those are old instructions.  It should work (and does for me) if you just
check the box in Autoroute | Setup for "lock all pre-routes".  If you later
do Tools | Unroute | All, be sure to choose "No" for unrouting locked
primitives.

Does the board pass DRC completely (with "unrouted nets" un-checked) before
you start autorouter?

Do you use the grid that the autorouter recommends when you start it?

Before SP6 I used to have a lot of autorouter problems, and I found Unroute
All to be unreliable after autorouter failures.  I would always make a
backup copy of the board before autorouting, and go back to that INSTEAD of
doing Unroute All.  I haven't had this problem since SP6, but if your
particular board is having autorouter problems, I'd suggest doing that, just
in case Unroute can't handle it.