> I'm currently having some problems generating correct gerber files for my
manufacturer. They say that some of the information is missing from the
files that I have sent them. Apparently I am not the only one to have such
problems with the generation of gerber files using protel - but there is (so
I am told) a way to create correct files.

> Has anyone come across this problem before and know how to fix it??
>
> BTW: Apologies if this has been discussed before - I searched the archives
and found nothing. Is there a browsable archive list for this group
somewhere.

> David Braendler

You will need to be more specific as to what the PCB manufacturer is unhappy
about, but my *guess* is that you have created Gerber files *without*
embedded aperture definitions, and you have not also provided an aperture
list file (with these Gerber files).

If you create Gerber files with embedded aperture definions, an aperture
list file does not also have to be provided. It is preferable to actually do
that, as the PCB manufacturer then doesn't have to manually load the
aperture definitions into their photoplotter.

>From the CAM Manager file, invoke the "Gerber Setup" dialog box. Select the
"Apertures" Tab, then check the "Embedded apertures (RS274X)" checkbox. The
Gerber files subsequently produced should have embedded apertures, i.e.
comply with the RS274X standard. (OTOH, if that box is not checked, the
resulting Gerber files will not have embedded aperture definitions, and
those files will then be to the RS274D standard instead.)

Hope this helps. (Another possibility could be that the manufacturer is
having problems with octagonal pads, but for the time being, I am guessing
that aperture definitions are more likely to be the issue.)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer