A few days ago there was a short discussion here regarding how Protel
associates file types with applications, specifically to allow automatically
opening .PDF datasheets embedded within a design file. I speculated at that
time that Protel only knows about file types which were added after Protel
itself was installed, because some users reported that Protel understands pdf
files and others reported that it doesn't.

I can now report that the order of installation of Protel and Acrobat does
not seem to make a difference. I had to reinstall Protel after Acrobat was
already installed, to fix an unrelated problem. Protel did not recognize pdf
files. Then just yesterday I wasn't paying close enough attention during
install of another package, and let it reinstall Acrobat. Protel still does
not recognize pdf files, so it apparently doesn't matter which package is
installed first.

At this point I suspect that it has something to do with a registry entry,
which I'll explore when I get time. Could anyone on this list explain how
Protel accepts applications such as Word (and potentially Acrobat Reader) to
work as servers?

Steve Hendrix